We provide Aluminum wiring inspection and removal service in entire Edmonton region.
History of Aluminum wiring in houses
There was a great construction boom in 1955-60 in North America. The Copper shortage combined with spiked price suddenly gave an opportunity to Aluminium in house wiring. Aluminum was widely used as an electrical conductor / wiring material in the houses constructed until early 1970’s.
Why Aluminum wiring inspection and removal is required?
The grade of the Aluminium used was the one that was developed for the power transmission lines. It was not very good for house wiring. Wikipedia has some interesting details on the Aluminum wiring subject. Mechanical properties of Aluminium together with the poor workmanship standards constituted serious safety and fire hazards.
Is Aluminium wiring legally banned in Edmonton and Alberta?
Aluminium itself may not have any issue but when used with other components in electrical wiring it increasing the fire hazard exponentially. Having said that there are no legal issues but one must adhere structurally to code to safeguard your family against all the fire risks. Here is one Notice / publication by Alberta Government about Aluminium wiring in residences. Read the Notice.
How does Aluminium poses fire risk?
Aluminium can mainly pose fire risk in 3 different ways;
- Aluminium oxidizes (rusts) faster than copper. The rust can increase electric resistance and hence the heat at receptacles. The heat will turn into fire in no time. So the Aluminium wire overheating is dangerous.
- Aluminum is softer than Copper. As a result it can be nicked, causing loose connections, arching and resulting fire.
- Aluminium has higher coefficient of friction and expansion so to conduct same amount of current, higher diameter of Aluminium is required as compared to the Copper. Aluminium also expands more than copper when heated. heated to this, it puts pressure on screws and can easily loosen them at the receptacles. Once a screw is loose, arching and overheating occurs increasing the fire hazard.
What can we do to make your house safer in case you have Aluminium wiring?
- We can inspect your house and highlight the Aluminum wiring risk pertaining to your house.
- We can plan and remove Aluminium wiring from your house. It includes disposal of old Aluminium wiring.
- We can plan to bring your Aluminium house wiring up-to the current electrical code of Canada.
- We can plan replacement of your current Aluminium wiring with Copper wiring including all other required components replacement.