24/7 Reliable Electricians

Get a Quote

Maintaining 220V/240V power supply in your house

Plug and receptacles 110V and 220/240V

Maintaining 220V/240V power supply in your house

Why 220V/240V is needed in a house?

There are some appliances in a house that use 220V/240V for proper functioning. Some examples are washer, dryer, electric stoves, large cooking ranges, some air compressors, some power tools etc. 220V/240V provisions are available almost in all houses in Canada due to the same reason.

What is affect of a 220V/240V in a house?

Having 220V/240V voltage reduces the amount of current and required power to operate the appliance to nearly half. Because the current that flows through the wires is now reduced, there is lesser heat in the wires and further less chances of overheating the electrical system of the house.

The electric shock risk – Yes, it is still there and is dangerous.

Many other components of the wiring system such as breaker etc. are planned accordingly.

What are the right due-diligent steps to maintain 220V/240V?

We recommend to be constantly due-diligent about the 220V supply in your house. Some of the steps you can take are;

  1. Keep your appliances serviced as per the maintenance manuals provided by the manufacturers.
  2. Get grounding of your house wiring system checked on regular basis.
  3. If an appliance is to be replaced, ensure that the new appliance is safe and meets the 220/240V receptacle requirements.
  4. If a plug is not fitting into a receptacle, do not push too hard.
  5. If you smell plastic burning, stop the appliance and call an electrician immediately.
  6. If you buy a house, ensure the complete electrical inspection of the house, specially in case the house is an older construction.
  7. If you see black marks on a plug/receptacle, avoid using it and get it inspected.
  8. If there is any spark, stop using that outlet and call an electrician right away.

Is 220/240 V voltage supply more dangerous?

As far as human body is concerned, the situation will be pretty much same with 110V or 220/240V shock. The shock will hurt and can be fatal if heart received that shock. We don not recommend at all to work with your house wiring, no matter if it is 110V or 220V. If you are a qualified electrician, then sure it is a different situation.

Here is an interesting article about the electricity on Wikipedia.

Our trained electricians are available 24/7 in and around Edmonton to help you. If you are in any sort of electrical emergency, give us a call at 780-476-1413.

Get a quote here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *