8 tips about electrical wiring in a house in Edmonton

8 tips about electrical wiring in a house in Edmonton

8 tips about electrical wiring in a house in Edmonton- Canadian Electrical Standards

Electrical wiring in a house is the most important component of the entire electrical system. The wires are behind the wall and carry electrical current in the circuitry. There are equipment and connectors in the wires that help to measure, operate, protect and stop the electrical equipment and appliances.

What material is used for electrical wiring in my house?

Short answer is Copper.

From 1960 up-to 1970’s, Aluminum was used as an alternative to Copper in house wiring. Due to the aluminum properties unsuited for a house wiring and high fire risk, aluminum is pretty much not used for house/commercial building wiring anymore. Aluminum is still used for commercial electricity transportation.

For the sake of this information article, we will stick to the Copper wiring.

If your house still has aluminum wiring, please read our article about aluminum inspection and removal here.

What does different colors of electrical wires mean in my house?

Electrical wire colors follow strict Canadian code for identification and ease of working requirements.

Here is the color code for the rigid (not flexible) wiring.

  • Red or Black: Live or phase wire
  • White: Neutral wire
  • Green: Ground wire

If reading about the various electrical wire color codes interests you, check the color coding of the electrical wires for the entire world here!

What happens when electricity passes (voltage is applied) through the electrical wires?

The current flows through the wire when voltage is applied.

When an electrical wire is charged (a potential difference is created between two ends by applying voltage), a magnetic field is created and all the electrons in the Copper wire gets charged and start flowing in one direction depending upon the voltage. This movement of electrons is called current.

Why electrical wires in a house overheat?

When the current flows through a wire, the energy is transferred and the transfer of energy produces heat. Higher the current, higher the heat produced.

All the wires are rated to carry a certain amount of current safely which in-turn means that wires are safe and will not overheat up-to that amount of current. When due to any reason more than the rated current passes through a wire, the wires will overheat. Continuous passage of over-current through the wire compromises the integrity of the wire.

What is the normal current rating of a household receptacle?

A normal household receptacle is rated to carry 15 amp current in Canada. It mean, depending on the breaker restrictions, you can safely run an appliance of up-to 1400 Watt in that outlet. Anything over 1400 watt will probably trip the circuit breaker for safety.

What are the various signs of am overheated electrical wiring?

Any overheated wiring gives clues and signals of overheating. Some of the clues are;

  • Plastic burning smell in the house
  • A breaker tripping repeatedly
  • Blackening around any receptacle
  • Visible smoke around a receptacle
  • Visible sparking in a receptacle

What should be done in case you want your house wiring inspected?

The electrical wiring of the house needs a thorough inspection in-case you get any of the signal about the overheating wires behind the walls.

What happens if the wires are overheated?

If the electrical wires are overheated, it can lead to small or large fires, financial risk and worst, risk of life.  A fire gets out of control very quickly and can affect the neighborhood you live in.

You can reach us at 780-476-1413 and let us know about your wiring doubts. Our electricians will be more than happy to help you. We provide house electrical services in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, St. Albert and all other surrounding communities.

If you need a quote just give us the basic information on our quote page and we will contact you.

Leave a Reply